May 2007


img 020

Hint: It’s not a bowling pin in a tuxedo.

Something I’m working on for an online knitting challenge. This is my first time making any kind of knit toy. I’m using Knitty’s Kate as a guide for the shape, because I’ve seen it adapted in to many different characters, and it seems very versatile. Those little buttons are bobbled knitted in contrast yarn, and around the narrow part i picked up stitches around and gave it a picot bind off (a little hard to see in this photo).

That’s all for now, more details coming soon…

-Kelly

lelahToday is the hottest we’ve seen this year in Toronto. If I were brave, I’d take the train down to the beach to show off my latest finished knit, but I think i got enough sun(burn) yesterday during a long hike(also, I’m pretty content with my air conditioning).

The pattern for this is Lelah, by super awesome Craftster user HelenaJane. Knitters have posted many lovely finished tops in the comments of the thread. The one that really inspired my to try this pattern was a beauty by blogger Prettyknit.

I used Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, which it a worsted weight, cotton-acyrlic blend. I made a few adjustments to the pattern to suit my tastes and size. The pattern calls for size 10.5 and 8 needles for the lace and bust, respectively. I used size 8s for the lace so it wouldnt be too open, and size 6s for the bust so it would be dense enough to to be see though, eep! I also made up my own size small by comparing the other sizes avaiable. Soo….. it turned out pretty small.. but I think it has stretched out a little to a more comfortable fit, hopefully the elastic in the top band wont snap back again. I sewed the hem using a whip stitch (as described in this post) I kept the elastic in the hem as I went so i wouldnt have to thread it through the whole thing once finished (sounds even more annoying that the hemming itself).

I’m going to call Lelah a success, and I will probably knit one in another colour, but next up is the Beaded Cami by Black Dog designs. So pretty! I hope to go to the yarn shop this week and start it soon.

Until then,

Kelly

img 002

I’ve just finished my first turned hem, with the pattern Lelah. Not really the most fun experience, but I’m really happy with the result. I used a whip stitch to seam the live stitches with a row of purl bumps. Because it’s sewn through the back of the stitches, the hem is nearly invisible on the right side (looks pretty nifty on the wrong side too). The seam is also very stretchy, which is a very good thing since it turned out a little small! :(

The top is finished now, so I’ll have more details and photos for you within a couple days.

Kelly

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 81 other followers