June 2007

I’ve been working on this shrug. It started out its life as one of those shrugs knit from sleeve to sleeve, but once I had seamed up the sleeves and tried it on, I remembered how completely unflattering they are…

I decided to go with the classic shape of a bolero, instead. The construction is based on the circular shrug on craftster, which is just a big rectangle sewn so you can stick your arms and head through. The biggest difference is that my ribbing is MUCH less…. dramatic. I’m not really that big myself, and didn’t want to be overwhelmed with ribs.

It’s basically done, but I’m not quite sure how to finish it. Should I had two inches of ribbing on the bottom of the sleeves? I’ve already got two leave-it-alones, and that’s the way I’m leaning too…

Anyway, advice? What do you think?

PS. I also just started with Ravelry! If you have it too, add me as a friend! I think I need a little guidance there, cause I’m still kind of confused by it 😛 My name there is tragicheroine.

img 034

I finished my secret toy! This months theme for the Craftster knitting challenge is “Where the Wild Things Are”, in other words, knitted monsters.

Originally I’d planned on making Dracula himself, but I decided it would be easier -and cuter- for me to make a baby vampire.

He’s knit on size 4 needles using assorted stash yarn. The shape of his body is based on the pattern for Kate from knitty, but I made his head a bit more round. The buttons on his jumper are bobbles that I knit in as I was going along. The cape was knit separately and whip stitched on around his neckline. It flares out at the collar and hem to exaggerate the shape. The little ties are crochet chains. His frilly collar was made by picking up stitches around his neck, then doing a picot bind-off. His hands were picked up along the sides of his body, then sewed them down do they’d “puff up” a bit from his body. I use The Cats Mother’s technique for sewing in hair (tutorial here –naked knitted man if you scroll past the hair!). Even gave him a little widows peak, like Béla Lugosi! His mouth, teeth, and eyes were embroidered on.

Two more pics on my flickr, front and collar.

Here is a link to the challenge board, and here is a link to my post there. The voting start the 25th, but entries can be posted untill the 24th.

Vote for me! 😉


img 024It’s not really so beaded now. Maybe if I come across some beautiful ones, I’ll add them.

Pattern: Beaded Cami by Black Dog Designs

Yarn: Patons Grace

Needes: Size 6 circulars; F crochet hook for straps

My cami has finally finished blocking. About a day and a half, which felt like ages because I was so excited to try it on and take photos. Now that it is finished, I can say that I’m completely and utterly in looooveeee.

I knit most of this while watching the film Leon (which is great by the way), downloaded episodes of Big Brother 8 UK, and while suntanning in my garden. I feel so sexy in it, but I’m not sure if that’s the top, or the tan I developed while knitting it.

I made a few alterations to the pattern to suit me better. First of all, I knit it in the round. It seemed like the easiest choice with all that stockinette, and also the lace pattern is worked on every row, so I though it would be easier to work it intuitavely if I were always working with the right side. The measurements of the original seemed a little too drape-y for me, so I narrowed the fit by casting on less and adjusting the lace pattern to have less stitches. The original pattern started with 8 stitches between the leaves, I started with 7. I decreased more than written in the pattern, so my top is also smaller. I adjusted the lace pattern to have 6 stitches between the leaves. Because I had more decrease rows, my top is also a bit longer than the original. Another significant mod I made was to place the bodice seam under the bust instead of over it. I think it makes the fit more flattering and gives it some structure. I added double straps because I thought they were cute (though that isn’t much of a modification). The last adjustment I made was to add some short rows so that the back would hang lower than the front, so I wouldn’t have to tug it up like a lot of low necked camis.

img 030
I really loved working on this, but it wasn’t without it’s problems. The pattern calls for the bodice part to be knit separately, then seamed upside down. Well I didn’t notice this point, so when I reached the cast off for the front body, I decided to pick up my bodice stitches and keep knitting seamlessly. I was blissfully unaware of my mistake till I reached the lace at the very top, when I realized that there wasn’t another lace pattern to replicate the first one upside down. I wasn’t about to give up, so I frogged down to just above my short rows, placed the front stitches on a holder, and knit the back of the tank flat. Then I cast on for the top, knit the same number of rows i had for the back, and grafted the 78 tiny stitches on the top to the 78 tiny stitches on the bottom. The result is almost seamless, because I untwist the yarn a bit while I knit with it, but I don’t while I graft, so that row has a different sheen in some light. Then I seamed up the two flat sides and I was done.

Well I think I’ve written enough by now..

If you think you may knit this and are curious about my mods, just comment and I’ll be happy to explain anything further. And don’t be intimidated by my mistake, it can definitely be avoided.

Thanks for reading!

Happy knitting, friends,